19990111: UW-Whitewater's McIdas Setup

>From: "Trent Blank" <address@hidden>

Trent-

>David and I decided to wait until some remodeling was done before we made
>any changes to McIdas, and I have a few quick questions for you.

Okay, I'm ready.

>First, could you guide me through the process of changing our upstream host
>from Albany to Madison.  The University has wiped my e-mail account clean,
>and I'm not sure if David has the messages you sent out a while ago.  I
>know you mentioned I needed to go in as the LDM user to change this, but I
>could not seem to get the LINUX text editor to work when I tried this.
>Could you show me enough of the 'VI' editor to change what I need to
>change.  Also, in which file is the upstream host site located, in other
>words, which file do I need to edit.

A copy of the message I sent to David is in our LDM support archives.  You
can see it at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/ldm/2688

(I'll let you print it instead of duplicating it here). The control
is in the ldmd.conf file in the ~ldm/etc directory. For editing try
using xedit. It's not totally intuitive, but should suffice. Once
you get into the ~ldm/etc directory, run xedit ldmd.conf. That will
bring up a session. Click on the end of the line that has redwood in
it and hit the delete button to remove that entry. replace it with
sunset.meteor.wisc.edu. The key thing is that the line must begin with a
tab. If you run into problems, let me know.

>Second, will David be able to continue "feeding" our OS/2 machine after you
>discontinue support for those commands?  Would he be able to feed a second
>machine if it were also running LINUX like the ingesting machine?

In July 1999, we will be changing the format of the images in the
Unidata-McIDAS datastream and removing the MD files from that stream
(probably in April/May).  When these changes occur, ingesting on an
OS/2 system will not work.

You can feed as many systems as you like from your LDM.   You would
just need to add an ALLOW line in your ldmd.conf file, like you have
for the OS/2 system now.

>By the way, this will be my permanent e-mail address until further notice.
>If you would like to keep in touch, you can reach me here.  Maybe the next
>time you're in Madison we could get together.

Sounds good.  Good luck with the new job.

>Thanks again for everything Don.  I've really appreciated your help over
>the past couple of years.

No problem.  Keep in touch.   Just as an aside, it is better to send
questions for help to address@hidden instead of me directly.
That way if I get hit by the pie truck, you will still get some help. ;-)

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/