Re: [Fwd: Status of NOAAPORT IDD Feed]

Chad,

This is part of the report I'm presenting to PolComm meeting about
NOAAport. The area of concern is the failover position that I outlined
below.  SSEC is recognized as part of the second part of the fail over
scheme that probably will never happen.  This parts states if thelma and
the iita machine are unavailable then fail over to SSEC and Alden. So SSEC
needs to be configured with ALLOWs for top level sites to connect.  I
would appreciate it if you could add the list of sites that I included at
the end of this message.  As a side note, I know Alden's machine nport
has not be maintained.  Dave Fulker is looking into remmedy this
situation.  Comments

Thanks,
Robb...

The source data distribution and the redundancy was also changed because
of NOAAport. There is a ring of source sites that all have NOAAport
satellite dishes. The architecture for the source sites is to feed each
other so if a NOAAport satellite dish fails at any one site then they will
get the data from another site.  The source sites are UCAR, SSEC, and
Alden. When other sites receive NOAAport dishes they will also be added to
the ring of source sites. UCAR also has another backup machine
(iita.rap.ucar.edu) for the main IDD distribution machine thelma.ucar.edu.
This was installed because of potential hardware failures on thelma.

The fail over scheme is:

<ul>
  <li> If thelma fails, fail over to iita.  This will result in the
minimal network changes.

  <li> If both thelma and iita are unreachable, fail over to SSEC and
Alden. The sites will have to make the decision for the best connection.

  <li> There will also be an alternative site at Cornell for the
northeast. Cornell is also positioned on the vBNS.

#
# IDD-relay top tier nodes
allow   ANY     grayskies.atmos.washington.edu
allow   ANY     drier.atmos.washington.edu
allow   ANY     dry.atmos.washington.edu
allow   ANY     blueskies.sprl.umich.edu
allow   ANY     aldehyde.sprl.umich.edu
allow   ANY     sirocco.srcc.lsu.edu
allow   ANY     maestro.srcc.lsu.edu
allow   ANY     stokes.metr.uoknor.edu
allow   ANY     stokes.metr.ou.edu
#
# local site allow
allow   ANY     owl.uwyo.edu
allow   ANY     aurora.atmos.colostate.edu
allow   ANY     cirrus.al.noaa.gov
allow   WMO     shylock.fsl.noaa.gov
allow   WMO     gobbo.fsl.noaa.gov
#
# vBNS sites
allow   ANY     atm.geo.nsf.gov
allow   ANY     sunset.meteor.wisc.edu
allow   ANY     profhorn.meteor.wisc.edu
allow   ANY     ihlseng.ugems.psu.edu
allow   ANY     navier.meteo.psu.edu
allow   ANY     louisxiv.eas.gatech.edu
allow   ANY     meteora.ucsd.edu