Re: 19990223: Unidata's X (C?)-band Alden satellite receiver

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Peter Neilley wrote:

> > Alden is in the process of eliminating the FOS feed also, they are moving
> > to NOAAport only.  The Alden FOS will be turn off within months. I'm not
> > sure about the ownership of the UPC hardware but with the above statement
> > it really doesn't matter huh. There is also a legal part to the situation,
> > UPC is not purchasing FOS anymore from Alden for any UPC sites.
> >

> Spoke with Alden this morning.  They have no intention, short or long term,
> of shutting down the FOS feed via the Ku-band.  They have many, many
> customers that
> have invested in Ku-Band and will not buy NOAAPort equipment.  Alden insisted
> that FOS via Ku_Band will not go away in the foreseeable future.

I guess they had a change of heart because of customer base, since they
talked to us.

> Regarding the legal issues, I realize that Unidata no longer has a contract
> with
> Unidata to provide FOS via IDD or Ku-Band.  RAP would enter into a seperate
> agreement with Alden to provide the Ku-Band feed for our backup purposes only.
> We started speaking with Alden about this awhile ago.
>
> So the questions still stand, is the Ku-Band equipment still in your hands?
> Is
> the equipment Unidata-owned and would Unidata be willing to sell/give it to
> us?

The equipment is still at the Unidata.
Actually we lease the equipment, but we might be able to let you have it.
It depends on the actual lease notes and I haven't looked into it. Dave
plans on giving you a call about this idea.

Robb...