Re: LDM at Riverside Fire Weather Office

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Scott Cunningham wrote:

> Robb -
>
> Thank you for your assistance.  I'm sorry if you
> took offense to my email - I did not intend it to
> be impolite - I was very frustrated with this.
> Also, if you look back at your message
> that preceded it, I think you will agree that you
> were being a bit condescending - implying that I was
> wasting your time asking you to troubleshoot a
> configuration that shouldn't be functioning at all.
> As you can see, it works fine.
>
> I am still a bit puzzled.  Apparently, someone in the
> Western Region NWS determined that the period after the
> hostname in the request lines was needed, because it
> appears in ALL of our ldmd.conf files on machines that
> run ldm normally!!
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the period is ignored
> if DNS is being used.  The HP's in Riverside have not been
> registered with a DNS, so I set them up temporarily to use the
> hosts file (which included hackey.sac.noaa.gov).

Scott,

I had to ask our system admin, he knows that the DNS  uses the trailing
dot but the host file probably does exact matches. This also
could be HP 10.2 dependent. Actually I just found the problem by process
of elimination because the configurations were correct except the host
name didn't resolve.

 If you can
> tell me that the period is not necessary on the request lines,
> I will remove tham from all our ldmd.conf files.

Personally, I would leave the present configuration intack.

Robb...