Update on trouble with Internet from weather.admin.niu.edu (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:04:34 -0600 (EST)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Update on trouble with Internet from weather.admin.niu.edu

Hello all,

I found out what the problem is. When we upgraded to a 100 MB/sec vs a 10
MB/sec bandwidth intranet route, it takes extra "hops" to get to our T3.
As a result, the network hardware routes me to the Internet with the
fewest "hops"...the T1 connection. They are adding equipment which will
balance this so that in the future, I will be going through the T3 with
outgoing traffic. But that will take weeks, if not months, for that to
happen. In the meantime, they said we could get on the outgoing T3 but it
would be at a substantial cost which I cannot afford. And it would be
stupid to do so as in the next few months that problem will be rectified.

Sooooo....what I guess I am trying to tell all my downstream sites is if
you are having trouble or delayed data in the afternoons, please feed off
the backup until this is resolved. Our main campus network guy is being
unsympathetic, so I am stuck on the T1 outgoing for possibly up to a few
months before this is resolved.

Also, our T3 has had problems overnight which they are working on right
now.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Gilbert

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                ***