19990427: Query about AVN grid file contents on NOAAport

James, To isolate the grid 211 (Q) grids, you need to modify your
pattern:
>HRS    ^[YZ]..... KWB. ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9]).*(/mAVN|/mSSIAVN)

To:
HRS     ^[YZ].Q... KWB. ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9]).*(/mAVN|/mSSIAVN)

There are about 5 AVN projections on NOAAport, and if you don't
use the grid specifier in the pattern, or if you don't use the @@@
template in the file name which is replaced by the grid number in
the file name, then you can get conflicts where the file is
created using the projection of the first grid that comes across the feed.
All subsequent grids that don't match the projection would be
thrown away.

So, if a grid 213 (H) avn came in first, then that would be the projection
of the file. SInce the H grid is 95km STR, it would cover roughly the
same area as the Lambert 80km grid 211, but the content of what grids
are distributed in each projection are somewhat different based on AWIPS
needs in the NWS.

I provided Devin with the lasted dcgrib source that has many updates and
additional grid projections that can be decoded since the 1997 copy that
you were running.

Let me know if the above pattern isolation and the dcgrib update don't
solve your problem.

You should probably check the gdinfo projection information of the
AVN file in question and see which of the AVN data sets created the file.

The dcgrib updates since the 1997 version you had now add the @@@ an ###
templates so that the various model projections can be written to
appropriate files, so a pattern like:
HRS     ^[YZ].*/mNGM
        dcgrib PACK YYMMDDHH_ngm_grid@@@.gem

Would produce separate filesfor grid211, grid 201, grid 207, grid 213 etc.

Similarly, ### is replaced by the model number, eg NGM=039, however,
AVN and SSIAVN are different model numbers, so its not likely
that MRF/AVN would want to use that option, but ruc, ngm, eta etc
can be identified uniquely by the model number.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support