survey: LDM data recovery (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 22:46:53 -0500
From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: survey: LDM data recovery

Hi all,

 For several years here we've maintained an FTP site for IDD members
to recover missed/lost IDD data from.

 In recent months though the greatly increased data volume from
NOAAport and larger McIDAS and HDS data files combined with limited
space on the machine hosting it has rendered it less than useful.

 I'm setting up a new archive site, but would like your input.
Many have asked for and been given access, but I rarely hear if they
find it useful or otherwise.

Currently, the data is stored in raw feed files by feed by hour.
The idea is that you download the hours and feeds that you need
and then use the LDM ingestor programs to refeed the data into your
local LDM product queue and have it processed by means of your
local pqact actions just the way current data is.

However, I'm not sure many people are aware of the means of doing this
or if they've constructed their pqact.conf files to deal with anything
other than the most recent data.  Nor is this method useful with
the MCIDAS feed since there is no ingestor supplied for that feed
supplied with LDM.

 1) Do you use the archive site ftp://address@hidden/
    (Note: there's not much there at the moment)

 2) If so, was it at all useful?

 3) Do you favor an approach that would let you refeed data into
    your local ldm for local pqact processing?

   -or-

 4) Would you prefer just fetching data files in some more
    readily useable form? such as GEMPAK?

    GEMPAK works well because most Unidata sites use the same
    GEMPAK file naming conventions as that's how Garp expects them.
    It also seems to be a popularly requested format in "needdata".

    Other formats?  WXP?  (but there's no one universal convention)

Any other suggestions, comments, discussion are appreciated.

Thanks.

 David Wojtowicz, Systems Manager
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
 email: address@hidden  phone: (217)333-8390