Re: LDM: UIUC network outage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:03:23 +0000
From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
To: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>,
    David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: LDM: UIUC network outage

We have a KU-band Alden dish for DDPLUS for our "operational"
feed in Palestine, Texas (which is in East Texas).  We can get
heavy rain 12 months out of the year due to our proximity
to the Gulf and we lose signal completely for sometimes
up to an hour.  Early last summer we had a couple of days
with very thick fog, plus very thick multi-layers of low and mid
cloud and we had signal loss even then.  If the choice was KU-band
I think any place in the South Central or Southeast U.S. will have
problems just about any time of the year ( and the rest of the east
in the spring and summer).

We never had those kind of problems with the old C-band Alden, but it did
always seem that the LNB's were always going out at the worst possible
time, and then like you say Gilbert, you had to go through some
death-defying act to fix it much of the time.

Robert Mullenax