Re: 20000118: connection to cirrus

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Here's what I get when I ldmping to cirrus:
>
> Jan 18 22:41:36 SVC_UNAVAIL  10.000956    0   cirrus.al.noaa.gov
                               ^^^^^^^^^

Too long when trying to create connection, should be about .005

> h_clnt_create(
> cirrus.al.noaa.gov): Timed out while creating connection
>
> Any suggestions will be apreciated.

Tony,

It either you name server isn't working or you routing to cirrus is bad.
The first one can be determined by ping command to cirrus.  If it fails
maybe cirrus needs to be entered into your /etc/hosts file.  I would also
contact you system admin or ISP concerning routing to cirrus, try a
traceroute to cirrus.  Sometimes routings are changed and it;s not
apparent to network folks that they broke something. This happens at UCAR
all the time.  If you keep notifying them about the problem they will make
sure they don't break your route to a host. It good to be in close contact
with your system admin and the network folks.

Robb...