Miscellaneous thoughts (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:31:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Miscellaneous thoughts

I was dorking around with the LDM late last week, and I noted something
interesting.

You know that when you request two heavy duty feeds like:

request IDS|DDPLUS foo.bar.edu
request HRS 155.155.155.155

and your bandwidth is limited, the IDS|DDPLUS feed will stay on time,
while the HRS feed will lag. However...

If you reverse the entries, IE:

request IDS|DDPLUS 155.155.155.155
request HRS foo.bar.edu

NEITHER ONE will get ahead of each other, and they will both lag at the
same time. That is, if one feed is 30 minutes behind, the other will be 30
minutes behind until they both catch up together. Odd.

Finally, about the LDM "slowness" of transferring data...a concern from
UNIDATA in the last newsletter. When I cleaned my queues on one machine
and then re-started the LDM, the data caught up---HRS and IDS|DDPLUS, and
this with the MESOETA coming in---in less than 1 minute!!! That
machine feeds off another machine in-house. That with the blockbuster
100K+ MESOETA data files coming in too! So is it the LDM that is
slow, or just the Internet? Hmmmm. Just something for UNIDATA to think
about.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***