RE: NOAAPORT down... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:30:27 -0500
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: 'Jim Koermer' <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: RE: NOAAPORT down...

>From my observation, ever since NWS went to the new satellite back in
January, the signal strength for the NOAAPORT channels have gone through
wild fluctuations.  The signal strength (Ebno) from the EF satellite
data receivers  normally should sit in the 7-8 range for all channels
with little fluctuation but now I notice the Ebno will drop to the 4-6
range every day or so.  A value of 4 is the minimum and still receive
data.

Today, we're getting about 6.5 on GOES West, 4.5 on GOES East and no
carrier on NWSTG.  When the NWSTG channel is usually between 1.5 and 2
Ebno below the GOES East channel so if GOES East is in the 4 range,
NWSTG's signal is almost non-existent.  Even here, the GOES East signal
has been weak enough that we're not getting that channel at times.  This
seems to be a signal strength problem and hopefully NWS will solve the
problems soon.

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-444-2407
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-444-2420