Re: motherlode & queue size

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Tom McDermott wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Robb Kambic wrote:
>
> > I not exactly sure why you are/were receiving the extra products.  The
> > allow lines on motherlode are UNIDATA|FLS2 for all top tier sites
> > including PSU. Maybe SUNY was getting some extra products, ie radars that
> > were being relayed down the pipe. I would change my request line to only
> > be UNIDATA|FSL2 and then see if that helps.   Also, if you run notifyme
> > maybe you can determine what the extra products are?  You are not seeing
> > NMC2 products?
>
> I'm not sure I am getting any extra products, which is why I asked about
> the data rates.  Last Thurs our ldm data disk was 82% full (8.44Gb) vs.
> 83% full (8.62Gb) now, and most of that increase is accounted for by the
> increase in the queue size itself.  So if there are extra products in the
> queue, they're not being selected by my 'pqact.conf'.

Tom,

After reading your message about request lines, I don't believe you are
receiving extra products.

> Here are my request lines to Albany from ldmd.conf:
>
> request       MCIDAS|FSL2     ".*"    redwood.atmos.albany.edu
> request       IDS|DDPLUS      ".*"    redwood.atmos.albany.edu
> request HDS
> "(^[B-FHJ-NQRTUW-Z])|(^A[A-FH-Z])|(^IUP)|(^S[A-EG-Z])|(^[YZ].[HIQR])"
> redwood.atmos.albany.edu
>
> These are the same as I am using for Cornell, so even if Albany was
> receiving additional products (I know they get NMC2), I shouldn't be
> seeing them unless they're within the scope of my requests.  And I am
> filtering out stuff on HDS, so I'm not getting everything available.
>
> > > BTW, our max. latencies for the times when the 12Z model runs were being
> > > transmitted were awesome today, <4 minutes, vs. the usual >30 minutes and
> > > possibly this may be related to the changeover, we'll have to see.
> > >
> > That's great, thelma was slow because of the high disk I/O problem. You
> > could be correct that the data rate might of pushed more of the model data
> > into one hour but an 200MB queue should of been large enough.
>
> However, we do get BUF NIDS plus 3 floaters plus MCIDAS, FSL2, NLDN and
> DIFAX, although 200mb may be sufficient for just WMO.
>
> I have an additonal concern related to this.  Ever since the extended
> hours were added to the ETA and AVN back in April or whenever, Cornell's
> ldm logs fill up with the 'Deleting oldest' messages when the models runs
> are being received.  This indicates to me that their queue may not be
> large enough, at least for those peak hours.  When Cornell connects to
> motherlode (they are still connected to thelma I believe), if they
> experience the same phenomenon as we do, I expect this problem will be
> exacerbated. I don't know how much it slows things down for the ingestor
> process to have to delete entries from the queue.  Possibly this may also
> be a factor in the improved latencies, although as I said before, we'll
> have to see if it persists.

You are correct that Cornell's queue is not large enough for model peak
times.  The latest LDM that's not released doesn't use pqexpire so this
should not be a problem in the near future. It uses a algorithmn to make
space as products  arrive. The LDM release should be out in about a month.

There is definitly a cost for receiving duplicate streams from different
source sites. The product duplication for large products >16k happens on
the upstream node, but the product duplication for <16k are done on the
downstream node. ie the product is transferred then thrown away.  It's
actually better to just receive the products from the one reliable node.

Robb....