fl-phx DNS status (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:00:27 -0600 (MDT)
From: Greg Woods <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: fl-phx DNS status

The bad news is that the named crashes on fl-phx are still happening,
about once a day, and I have yet to determine what is causing them. The
good news is that the cron script that detects when named has died and
restarts it is functioning properly, so that outages caused by the
crashes should never be more than about five minutes (worst case).
Properly configured DNS clients and servers should fail over to the
backup server (bubby, 128.117.8.94) even during an fl-phx outage.

I plan to accelerate the already-planned upgrade of BIND to a newer version,
which may very well prevent the crashes (but there is no guarantee of that).

--Greg