RE: DIFAX Scripts (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:11:03 -0400
From: Tom Grzelak <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, Steve Chiswell <address@hidden>,
     Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: DIFAX Scripts

>From: "Dan Vietor" <address@hidden>
>To: "'James D. Marco'" <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>        <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: DIFAX Scripts

<snipped>

>  They will give priority use to
>some customers such as commercial data providers and maybe one or two
>Unidata sites (check with the NWS contact listed on bottom of web page).
>So it may be a good idea for one or two universities to handle most of
>the load and distribute it through IDD.  When they upgrade and provide
>priority service, Unidata won't be bundled into the low priority group.

What do you guys think of what Dan has suggested?  Can we get DIFAX back
into the IDD (for no cost) to EDU?  Leaving the commercial world to work
with the commercial vendors for DIFAX, couldn't we set up where these DIFAX
charts get distributed through the IDD tree?

Right now, I am writing an internal Rutgers proposal with the Remote
Sensing Center (CRSSA) here at Rutgers to buy a server which would permit
both my groups and the CRSSA to serve up data for internet access through
our web sites, ftp, etc..  One of the things I am proposing to do with this
server is to move our IDD relay back to the Dept here and onto this
machine.  Our RU network capabilities have increased significantly and will
continued to be improved through our network project completion of next
summer.  If this IDD of DIFAX is a possibility, then I would offer Rutgers
as a possible top-level site to aid in its distribution.

We, like several on the mailing groups, download automatically DIFAX maps
from the NWS using auto-FTP type technology.  It seems to be
counter-productive to have everyone doing this individually to NWS.  Why
not incorporate this into IDD and then we won't have to worry about
everyone building/managing scripts to get this data?

I am willing to write this into our proposal if you think that this is
something we should do with IDD.  If there is someone at UNIDATA which I
should contact further about this, please let me know.

This is just such a hot issue that it seems it is something we should
REALLY consider doing for FREE.

Thanks!
Tom Grzelak                          address@hidden
Manager - Computing Services
 ----> Center for Environmental Prediction
 ----> Department of Environmental Sciences

Rutgers University
14 College Farm Road                    Voice: 732-932-4923
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551            Fax: 732-932-8644
                http://www.envsci.rutgers.edu