20001019: DIFAX dialogue (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:15:42 -0600
From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: 20001019: DIFAX dialogue

From: <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20001019: DIFAX dialogue
To: Don Murray <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:21:47 -0500 (CDT)

> Tony, et al.
>
> >Don and I aren't the only ones with an opinion on the use of DIFAX as an
> >educational tool. But we are both part of the Unidata Users Committee that
> >will be meeting in three weeks with this whole topic of DIFAX on the
> >agenda.  The UPC will not be providing a replacement product, but we'll be
> >discussing ways that the Unidata community might find it's own way to make
> >and distribute the products, if the demand is there.  So, I'd like for as
> >many educators and students or former students (are we all former
> >students?) to post comments on this topic so we can go to the table as
> >well informed as possible.  It would be especially useful to hear from
> >recent students who may have been taught using a mix of old and new
> >technology.
>
> If you do this (and I encourage you to) please be sure to cc: or send
> your comments to address@hidden (since not all User Committee
> members are subscribed to difax).
>
> Don

Don:

I'm not a met graduate but I have taken a few met classes.  I'm also a
Skywarn spotter and a pilot.  I'll miss DIFAX.  I hope that whatever
Unidata or any of the educational institutions do to provide a suitable
replacement will consider those of us not able to get products from IDD
or other distribution methods.

Many of the current Internet Web-based products just do not have the
resolution and are not easily received like DIFAX.  Many of the GIF graphics
are poor quality and do not print well.  The NWS DIFAX TIFS printed
nicely and the files were small.  PDF might be an option like many of the
graphics on the WW2010 site at University Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
It should not be too difficult to make AFOS/AWIPS graphics available -
a limited selection is presently available on the EMWIN service but here
again it is difficult to get access, especially in the field.

If Unidata could provide some means for the Skywarn community to
access data that would be greatly appreciated.  The NWS gives Skywarn
no financial support yet thousands of spotters nationwide provide
countless hours.  Access to a tool that would help us would be most
appreciated.

Steve

--
Steve M. Kile, AB0NV