Re: 20001023: Failover site request from PSU

Hi Jeff,

It is against general policy to feed the same institution from two sites.
The reason for this is.. you guessed it.. bandwidth. If you also start
pulling the data from another machine into your internal network, it may
actually make things worse. We STRONGLY discourage this procedure. Other
options may be relocating your primary machine to be closer to navier
(electronically) to eliminate the feed problems. If the "other I2" site
was solely for failover things would probably not get to bottlenecked at
PSU if diligence was used to maintain feeding from navier anytime it was
up and recieving data. If you are experiencing steady problems from navier
and stayed on failover for any duration I believe it could cause severe
IDD congestion converging at PSU making your problem worse. Sooo..

First lets see if you can contact your sys admin and see if there is a way
to improve the hops from your machine to navier, then if nothing can be
improved there we may want to find another I2 site for failover. It is
"policy" to have only 1 feed to an institution and then having that
machine feed ALL internal machines, but PSU has been great at providing
access to other institutions so we want to make sure you all are happy and
have the data you need in a timely manner. I would prefer to solve this
from an internal network position, but remain open to make sure your needs
are met..

Let me know,

-Jeff