Re: 20001101: Re: Does end of NIDS mean 88D via IDD and LDM?

Hi Tom,

--On Wednesday, November 01, 2000 10:04 AM -0500 Tom McDermott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Linda Miller wrote:

Your memory is correct.  Upon expiration of the current NIDS contract, the
NIDS-type products will be broadcast via NOAAPort.  These products have been
broadcast and encrypted for some time now, so the encryption will be lifted
when the NIDS contract with the vendors ceases.

What about the NOWrad mosaic radars?  As I understand it, these are
proprietary and will not be part of the NOAAport feed.  Will the NOWrad
still be available from WSI under the Unidata contract (Tier IV) for
$195/month?

I'm sure WSI will continue marketing their NOWrad mosaic, however Unidata will not be contracting with WSI after the NIDS agreement ends. You are free to contact WSI to see what they might do toward providing the service for you. Hopefully, if you have had a contract with them in the past, that will be a consideration in their pricing scheme for you. As I understand it, the NWS is looking at providing some type of mosaic in the future, but I'm unsure of the timing for availability. They currently provide a WSR-88D RCM composite (hardly as nice as the WSI NOWrad).

http://205.156.54.206/data.html

If this is the case, what I would like to do is take the funds we are
currently spending on NEXRAD Tiers I & V, which will presumably be
availabe after the expiration of the NIDS contract, together with the
funds for Alden DIFAX, and get the mosaics which we were not able to
afford before.

It sounds like a plan. Let me know what you find out on pricing if you proceed with this plan.

Thanks,
Linda

Tom McDermott                           Email: address@hidden
System Administrator                    Phone: (716) 395-5718
Earth Sciences Dept.                    Fax: (716) 395-2416
SUNY College at Brockport

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata
P.O. Box 3000