20010131: NLDN, MCIDAS feed : need permission on new machine running ldm

>From: Leigh Orf <address@hidden>

Leigh,

>I am changing the machine that is ingesting data via the LDM from
>vortex.atms.unca.edu (152.18.35.163) to storm2.atms.unca.edu
>(152.18.35.202). Vortex is currently allowed to receive NLDN data from
>striker.atmos.albany.edu and MCIDAS from nimbus.atmo.arizona.edu.
>Could you allow storm2 to ingest from these machines,

This is something that must be done by the LDM administrators at those
sites.  You should contact them with the switch request directly.  You
can find IDD site contacts in the table at:

Unidata IDD Project
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/index.html
  Current Operational Status
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/iddgeneral.html#status
    IDD site contact list
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/sitelist.html

>or give me
>other machines that will give me permission to ingest this data from
>storm2.atms.unca.edu. Please don't dis-allow vortex until I get switched
>over :)

The permission to allow request for data is granted by the administrator
of the individual IDD nodes, not by staff at the Unidata Program Center.
We have always found that the administrators at the feed sites are happy
to change who they are willing to feed data to.  All you need to do
is contact them by email and let them know:

o who you are
o what your old machine name is
o what your new machine name is

Before you make the switch, I advise you to make sure that you can do
forward and reverse name lookup to the new machine (i.e., that you can
do an nslookup using the IP address and get the correct name; and do an
nslookup using the name and get the correct IP address).  If this does
not work, then the LDM will not work.

By the way, it seems like we may need to touch base about your McIDAS
setup there.  I have been so busy, that I have dropped the ball in
conversiong with you about the way things are setup.  Given that you
are moving to a new machine for XCD decoding (XCD always runs on
the machine running the LDM), then it might be the right time to
delve back into setup issues.

Tom