20010215: AVN grids

Lodovica,

The AVN grids from NOAAPORT (eg the ones on the IDD) generally
have levels up to 100 millibars. From your message, I presume you are
interested in stratospheric levels above 100 millibars.

The 1x1 degree global AVN grids on the NCEP ftp server do contain
levels above 100mb (70mb, 50mb, 30mb, 20mb, 10mb) with parameters
of HGHT, UREL, VREL, OZMR (ozone), TMPK, AVOR.

You can ftp these grids from:
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data1/avn/avn.yymmdd/

The files you are lokking for are named:
gblav.TxxZ.PGrbFff
where xx is the forecast run and ff is the forecast hour.

The PGrb files are the grib files. (the PGrbi files are index
files...not useful for GEMPAK).

You can decode the files with dcgrib, dcgrib2 or nagrib.
If you are running GEMPAK 5.6 or 5.6a, there is a patch file for dcgrib2
for the GRID 003 that the AVN above uses to correctly flip them North/South-
this is in ~gbuddy/nawips-5.6/patches/dcgrib2/dcwppg.c and should be
installed in $NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge/dcgrib2 directory. The decoder can
be rebuilt with: cd $NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge/dcgrib2    then,
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

This is only a bug with dcgrib2 and not dcgrib or nagrib.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support