20010612: New College of DuPage IP address for Lightning data (fwd)

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

>Can you help get Albany to change our address to our new IP (or just
>weather.cod.edu)?

OK, but when it comes to IDD feed issues, it is always better to make
contact directly.  The contacts at SUNY Albany for this sort of issue
is:

                Name  David Knight (p)
              Phone:  518 442-4204  Fax: 518 442-4494
       Email Address  address@hidden

For best results, always CC address@hidden.

An nslookup on weather.cod.edu yields an IP of 192.203.136.228.  If
this is not correct (i.e., if it is an old cached IP address), please
let David Knight know the correct address.

>Thanks Paul

No problem.

>well if albany checks its mail or logs they'll see we have a different ip
>address.  i've notified ldmlusers about the ip address change.

Did David Bukowski contacted Suny Albany directly?  If not, he should.
It is best to not rely on a feed site changing their LDM allow
information based on emails sent to a list.

>This should be the last change now since we are on the ip blocks that the
>college owns instead of verio owned ips.

> -
>David B. Bukowski              |email (work):          address@hidden
>Network Analyst                        |email (personal):      davebb@cshsches
> s.org
>College of Dupage              |pager:                 (630) 266-7775
>Glen Ellyn, Illinois           |work phone:            (630) 942-2591
>http://www.cod.edu/            |ICQ#:                  46516655

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Tue Jun 12 17:16:25 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010612: New College of DuPage IP address for Lightning data
>(fwd)

Hi Tom and Paul,

I'm afraid I do not see a problem with the feeds at this end.
But perhaps I am missing something.
Since Paul did not specify which feed he was having problems with
I had to check both of them.

On redwood.atmos.albany.edu (NOAAPORT) we have:
# Temp feed for  Dana Quinn at (address@hidden)
ALLOW   UNIDATA|FSL2    ^weather\.cod\.edu$

But there is no sign of them attempting to connect to redwood in the log
files.

On striker.atmos.albany.edu (the NLDN feed) we have:
#
# was address@hidden - Gilbert Sebenste (proxy for Paul
Sirvatka)
# now Dana Quinn - address@hidden
#                - College of DuPage
ALLOW   NLDN    ^weather\.cod\.edu$

in the logs we have them connecting with no problem
ldmd.log:Jun 12 20:58:41 striker weather[7286]: Connection from
weather.cod.edu
ldmd.log:Jun 12 20:58:41 striker weather(feed)[7286]: topo:
weather.cod.edu NLDN

nslookup from our machines returns:
Name:    weather.cod.edu
Address:  192.203.136.228
is this correct?

Should Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden> be listed now as the
contact for this site?

If we can help anymore with diagnosing this problem please let us
know at address@hidden

David

>From address@hidden Tue Jun 12 17:46:09 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010612: New College of DuPage IP address for Lightning data
>(fwd)

OOps, now I see in the subject line that Paul was refering
to the lightning feed (the subject was so long it did not appear
in my mail program...)

OK now I see there were problems connecting from
ldmd.log:Jun 12 11:14:25 striker rpc.ldmd[408]: Denying connection from
192.203.136.228

Perhaps this was due to a problem with their reverse DNS
lookup. This appears to be resolved now since

revnslookup 192.203.136.228
228.136.203.192.in-addr.arpa    name = weather.cod.edu

seems be returning the correct name, and, as indicated below
weather.cod.edu is now getting a connection.

Perhaps it was just a DNS caching problem.

Since striker is currently feeding 60+ sites we cannot
manually check each error message that appears in our logs.
The restrictions imposed on us by the data provider
require that we can identify each feed site as a
Unidata affiliated University - so we can not feed to
IP#s except under extraordinary conditions.
Also, please remember we do this as a service to
the community - there is no funding at our end to support
this effort... so sometimes it does not recieve the
attention it might deserve. (actually I'm getting
a little concerned about the old Sparc20 we use to provide
this service - I was hoping to perhaps replace it with
a new machine from a Unidata equipment grant, but alas
there was no request for proposals this year)

I assume if Paul is still having problems he'll let us
know. As Tom said, the best way to reach us is by sending
email to address@hidden

David