20020124: realtime FTPs to motherlode.ucar.edu (cont.)

>From: "Kevin Polston" <address@hidden>

Kevin,

>I am still awaiting the information regarding the specifics to connecting at
>UNL.

The machine name for your primary feed is:  papagayo.unl.edu

A quick check of the FTP logs on motherlode indicate that the
datastreams that you will want to request from papagayo are:

DDPLUS, IDS, and NIMAGE

If you will also want to get NCEP model output, you should also request
the HRS feed.  The most efficient way to request these data, is to
have two entries in the ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file:

request DDPLUS|IDS ".*" papagayo.unl.edu
request NIMAGE ".*" 129.93.52.150

Please let me know if you will also want to receive realtime NEXRAD
imagery, FSL wind profiler data, etc.

>I re-read some of the previous e-mails to see if I missed something as far
>as that goes but I didn't see anything.

Hmm... I sent you an email yesterday where I noted that the LDM feed site
would be papagayo.  Your note seems to indicate that you did not get this
message; true?

>Another question I have is what file do I need to
>download for the LDM software? I am running Redhat Linux 7.1 and I assume it
>is under the "binaries" link as opposed to "source".  But which one do I get
>and which one is the latest version?

Given that your machine is RH 7.1, it would probably be best if you
built the LDM from source.  Given this, you should grab:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
directory: pub/ldm5
file: ldm-5.1.4.tar.Z

>Going back through your previous e-mails I saw a question which I had forgot
>to answer. You had asked why do I need this data since I work at the Training
>Center.

Right.  This is a curiosity on my part.

>Well,  in order to get the data to the machine I am using would require going
>through several different routes. I tried getting the data from AWC as
>well.....and had it going for a short time....however.....even just a couple
>of satellite images would cause a problem with "overloading" the CRH bandwidth.

CRH is external to where your machine is?  Must be since you don't seem to
run out of bandwidth getting data from motherlode.

>Therefore we had to discontinue that. The problem I have is not in getting
>satellite data just to look at (I mean anyone can look on the internet and
>find satellite data) but to get it in an area file or gini file format so
>that it can be used with the gempak software.  That seems to be the hardest
>thing to do.

OK, now I think I understand.  An AWIPS ingest system converts the images
to netCDF and then probably discards the original GINI copy (guessing here),
so you need a source of the images that are still in the format you need
for GEMPAK.  The other facet of the question was why GEMPAK was being used
and not AWIPS?  I think I know the answer to this, but I was curious about
your slant on things.

>Getting it in the right format is obviously crucial that way I can use it
>with other data sets and not have to have a mismatch of stuff when I put
>together cases or whatever.

Got it.

>I will be awaiting word from you.....

OK, so is the machine you will be running the LDM on
mkc-65-26-24-74.kc.rr.com (this is the machine that is doing all of the
FTPs)?  If so, I will add you to the allows on papagayo so you can
start ingesting data as soon as you are ready.  If not, please give me
its full name so I can a) make sure that the DNS server that will be
accessed by papagayo can do forward and reverse name lookups, and b)
update papagaoy to allow it to request data.

>Kevin Polston
>Senior Instructor, NWSTC
>Kansas City MO 64151
>
>816-880-9314 ext 273