Re: 20020627: IDD questions

Hi Tom,

comments below..

-Jeff

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Did Cornell have any response to your inquiries..?

> Are there any current topology maps up on the unidata web site?  I see the
> ones like http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/status/idd/fosTopo.html
> but I don't see many of the machines I would expect to see like Illinois,
> Cornell, myself, etc.  Are these all dynamically built that if a node was
> down then they and anyone south of them would not be shown at all?

Yes, if anyone above you does not report, the whole limb drops off the
map..we are working to resolve this issue so you can "see" a better
picture of current status.

> Also, can I be assigned a failover feed for NNEXRAD and FNEXRAD from
> someone?  I am not sure if it is Cornell or not, but the data feed has been
> a real flaky and late.  It just came back up but latencies have been
> hanging around 40 minutes all day!

We have not set-up a failover scheme for NNEXRAD or FNEXRAD since it
follows a different topology than the other prods, what we did implement
was an allow *.edu for NNEXRAD from the top NNEXRAD sites:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/nexradFeed.html

Most have left it in, so you can feed from any of the top tier sites if
your standard feed is not performing.

try

notifyme -vxl- -f FNEXRAD -o 3600 -h snow.nrcc.cornell.edu

and check other hosts than snow..

> We have been trying to work with the FNEXRAD feed but it has been up to 2
> hours behind today and even at that I can probably count only 10 products
> that I was able to capture off the datastream.  It is hard to troubleshoot
> and add new feeds when the data is just not coming in consistently.  Are
> these products actually being sent out in the 6-10 minute frequency as
> announced recently?  I know this is all new so my expectations are low but
> I feel we are probably configured to capture properly since we did get a
> few datafiles intermittently...

Sorry about your latencies, things have been pretty smooth over here, but
I know that is no solice for your situation.

Please keep me posted if problems persist and we can explore
alternatives..

I will be on vacation next week, but if the question goes to
address@hidden it will find an appropriate individual.

Thanks!