20020821: satellite not available?

>From: "Kevin Polston" <address@hidden>

Kevin,

>I am having a problem receiving satellite data today.  Everything was
>running fine until about 08Z this morning when I stopped receiving
>satellite data.  I don't know if this is related to the problems from
>yesterday or not.

For some reason the LDM on atm.geo.nsf.gov exited this morning.  It was down
until about 10 am my time when I rebooted atm.  Data should have
started flowing correctly after the reboot, but it has apparently not.

I logged onto atm and saw that there were a lot of runaway processes
that I had to kill.  The load average was up to 92, so the machine
was basically not getting anything done, including LDM ingest and
relay.  I deleted and remade the LDM queue and then restarted the
LDM, and things seem to be running once again.

>Currently I have ldm set up to get satellite data
>from atm.geo.nsf.gov.  I usually have very little, if any problems
>getting data from that site. However, as I said... nothing today.  I
>pinged the site and I am pinging just fine and all other ldm functions
>appear to be working fine. The only thing I can see happening in the log
>file is I am getting a message when trying to connect to atm that says "
>Timed out after 720 seconds of inactivity".   Like I said, everything
>was running smoothly through about 08Z when I stopped receiving data.  I
>have not done anything to my ldmd.conf or pqact.conf files that would
>have casued this (since I haven't opened those files in a few days). I
>have also stopped ldm, deleted and remade the queue, but nothing has
>happened.  DOes atm have a problem today?   Thanks for your help.
>
>Hey, I might be in Boulder towards the end of the first week of
>September. Maybe I could stop by and chat with you for a few minutes if
>you have some time (and if I actually go to Boulder). Would be nice to
>meet you in person.

I should be around.  I look forward to meeting you.

>Take care,

Talk to you later...

Tom