20021106: setting up Satellite GINI ingestion

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

>seems like when it rains it pours...
>
>I would like to set up ingesting the noaaport satellite pix, at least some
>of them.

OK.  I setup papagayo.unl.edu to allow climate.cod.edu to feed NIMAGE.
NIMAGE is the IDD stream that contains the NOAAPORT GINI images.

>I have created a CODGINI.BAT file which should tell them where to look, as
>we did with the FNEXRAD.

I assume that this is for loading displays using McIDAS.  You will, of course,
need to setup ADDE serving of the data after you decide what to ingest
and where you want to keep the images.

>I am not sure if the decoders are the png2area or
>hey should be the png2gini format.

The ldm-mcidas decoder for the NOAAPORT GINI imagery is pngg2gini.  The
ldm-mcidas example pqact.conf entry for the GINI images is contained
in the file ldm-mcidas-pqact.conf.  This is included in both the ldm-mcidas
distribution and is available off of the ldm-mcidas web pages we maintain.
I believe that you have already been using entries in this file for
your FNEXRAD ingestion.

>Can you help us get going?

If climate.cod.edu is the machine that will be ingesting the data, you
should be ready to start requesting it from papagayo.  I always test
this by running a notifyme.  I suggest you do the same as follows:

<login as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vxl- -o 3600 -f NIMAGE -h papagayo.unl.edu

I think you know it already, but I feel compelled to add: the NIMAGE
stream contains a LOT of data.  The best example of this is the size
of each of the VIS sectors which are 26 MB after they get uncompressed
by pngg2gini (they are about 14 MB each in the stream).  You must make
sure to setup data scouring soon after ingestion, or you disk will
fill up in a hurry.

We will probably chat more later on setting up your remote ADDE server
to serve the NIMAGE images.

Tom