20030313: Did something change on unidata2.ssec?

>From: Pete Pokrandt <address@hidden>

Pete and Jerry,

>Did you guys change something on unidata2 or sunset?

Yesterday, unidata2 was reconnected to a NOAAPORT ingest box at SSEC.
Previously, unidata2 had been getting all of its feeds from thelma,
which, in turn, was getting the great majority of its NOAAPORT products
from the Unidata NOAAPORT ingest machine, jackie.unidata.ucar.edu.
As per Jerry's note, there was a competing process on the SSEC NOAAPORT
ingester that was hindering the dataflow to unidata2.

>Our NNEXRAD and HDS
>feeds (maybe DDPLUS|IDS too) have had lots of missing data, even though our
>latencies are really small.  My ETA 211 files from HDS were less than half
>their normal size for last night's 00 UTC run and today's 12 UTC.
>
>I checked on Chiz's unidata stats for ldm6 and your product volume dropped
>substantially about 24 hours ago. Some plots that show this:
>
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_num?HDS+unidata2.ssec.wis
> c.edu
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_num?NNEXRAD+unidata2.ssec
> .wisc.edu
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_num?IDS|DDPLUS+unidata2.s
> sec.wisc.edu
>
>Any idea what's going on here? Should I fail over to somewhere else until
>we figure out whats upo?

I just changed the setup on unidata2 to redundantly request the IDS|DDPLUS
and HDS feeds from thelma.  This will still allow fast feeds from the
SSEC NOAAPORT and redundancy from thelma's feeds.

On another note, do you think you will have time coming up to upgrade
your LDM relay machine(s) to LDM-6?  Can we help out in any way?
Did you get my previous two emails on the subject?

Tom Yoksas

In a previous message to me, you wrote:

 >>From: Pete Pokrandt <address@hidden>
 >
 >Pete and Jerry,
 >
 >>Did you guys change something on unidata2 or sunset?
 >
 >Yesterday, unidata2 was reconnected to a NOAAPORT ingest box at SSEC.
 >Previously, unidata2 had been getting all of its feeds from thelma,
 >which, in turn, was getting the great majority of its NOAAPORT products
 >from the Unidata NOAAPORT ingest machine, jackie.unidata.ucar.edu.
 >As per Jerry's note, there was a competing process on the SSEC NOAAPORT
 >ingester that was hindering the dataflow to unidata2.

Thanks for the explanation, data is flowing again, thanks!

 >I just changed the setup on unidata2 to redundantly request the IDS|DDPLUS
 >and HDS feeds from thelma.  This will still allow fast feeds from the
 >SSEC NOAAPORT and redundancy from thelma's feeds.
 >
 >On another note, do you think you will have time coming up to upgrade
 >your LDM relay machine(s) to LDM-6?  Can we help out in any way?
 >Did you get my previous two emails on the subject?

I will work on upgrading to ldm-6 next week, during spring break. I'm
actually home on Dad duty the past few days while my wife is out of
town til tonight, just keeping tabs on things from home.

I'll get in touch if I run into any problems.

Jerry, unidata2.ssec and sunset.ssec should now both be able to
pull the DIFAX feed direct from mapmaker.aos.wisc.edu.

Please let me know if you have problems.

Pete

--
^ Pete Pokrandt                    V 1447  AOSS Bldg  1225 W Dayton St^