20030316: tuning rtstats to report back what you want

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: real time statistics reporting on weather and weather3
Do these machines feed downstream hosts?

>Weather3 feeds an NWWS drop. Weather is used on occasion as a backup.

We are most interested in the real time statistics for machines that
are feeding IDD sites and feeds.  The good news is that the rtstats
line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf can be configured to report statistics
for those feeds that fit.  For instance, if you feed IDS|DDPLUS
to a downstream IDD site from weather, you would adjust your
rtstats entry in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf to read:

exec    "rtstats -f IDS|DDPLUS -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

Also, if weather2 ingests a feed that has nothing to do with the IDD
(or uses feed names in a non-IDD-standard manner), you could exclude
it from its ldmd.conf file.  I think I see that you use the WSI feed
type to move non-WSI data.  In this case, I would exclude it from
rtstats reporting:

exec    "rtstats -f ANY-EXP-WSI -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

I include EXP here since this is the feed type that we recommend to
folks who are moving their own, non-IDD data.

re: reporting only IDD stats

>Hmmm. Well, sometimes they are used, and another is used as a "low grade"
>relay of a slow feed. So what should I do?

Report statistics for that feed only.

>I'm seeing that you'd only want
>weather2's statistics up there, since that's the "biggie".

Right.  weather2 is the biggie as far as the IDD goes.  I think that
it is nobody's business what other feed types you are receiving, so
you will probably want to NOT report statistics for them.

re: Cool! Hopefully, it will be soon.
>Oh, sorry. I mean to say that I hope it (LDM 6) will be released
>officially soon, so that my upstream sites will be able to send out the
>data as quickly as I do now.

Right.  We will be fixing a problem in 'ldmsend' code that is also used
in 'rtstats', and that should clear up the numerous messages you
reported you were getting in your ldmd.log file(s).

re: installing McIDAS-X v2002 on weather

>Whoo hoo! Any chance you could upgrade weather3 as a backup?

OK, when I get some time, I will do this for you.

>I need to
>start writing that grant for more machines. As a complete "newbie", any
>idea how long it will take?

How long the grant process will take?  It won't take as long as it did
for NSF (the hoops they have to jump through is scary), but it will
take time.   I don't want to name a date, 'cause I just don't know.

>Right. OK, I'll turn off rtstats on weather and weather3. Here I go...

Consider the info above and see where your relay activities fit in.

Tom