20030513: LDM-6.0.10 use and real time statistics reporting

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi,

FTP logs at the UPC show that at least one but not all machines at your
site that run the Unidata LDM are running the current release,
LDM-6.0.10.  In particular, the primary IDD node at your institiution
appears to still be running LDM-5, or a version that is know to
contain bugs that have been fixed in the latest release.

I am writing to encourage you to upgrade all of your machines that are
participating in the IDD to LDM-6.0.10, and to configure them to report
real time statistics back to Unidata.  Reporting of real time ingest
statistics will help us continually evaluate the performance of the IDD
and make adjustments when/where needed.

Building LDM-6.0.10:

  Information on building, installing, and configuring LDM-6.0.10 can
  be found online at:

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.10/index.html

Reporting real time statistics:

  The ldmd.conf entry that needs to be added to report real time statistics
  back to Unidata is:

  exec  "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

  This 'exec' line should be the last 'exec' line in ldmd.conf.  Please
  remember that after making this modification, you will need to stop and
  restart your LDM:

  <login as 'ldm'>
  <modify ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf>

  ldmadmin stop
  <wait for all LDM processes to exit>
  ldmadmin start

If you would like help in upgrading to LDM-6.0.10, please let us know!

Thanks in advance for your help...

Tom Yoksas