20030513: upgrade of LDM on cyclone.natnet.du.edu

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

Since I noticed that cyclone.natnet.du.edu was still running LDM-5, and
since I had the login to cyclone as 'ldm', I decided to go ahead and
upgrade the LDM and ldm-mcidas packages.  I hope you don't mind!

LDM-6 offers many advantages over LDM-5, but the biggest ones are its
efficiency at moving data (better use of the available network), and
the decrease of system resources in moving that data.

I built the latest LDM release, LDM-6.0.11, on cyclone and have done
everything I can do without 'root' privileges (the last installation
step requires 'root' privilege; I used to know the root password, but I
don't anymore).

If you don't mind giving me the 'root' password, the best way to pass
this along is by phone (303.497.8642), or by an email to my address
(address@hidden) where you don't mention the account name.  If
you do not want to give me the 'root' login to cyclone, then you will
need to do the following steps to complete the build/install (but not
use) of LDM-6.0.11:

<login to cyclone as 'ldm'>
cd ldm-6.0.11/src
su                                   <- NB: 'su' _not_ 'su -'
/usr/ccs/bin/make install_setuids
exit

At this point, I can finish converting DU's use of the LDM to
the latest release and then upgrade the ldm-mcidas installation
to the current release.

Thanks in advance...

Tom