20030513: UFRJ as a top level IDD node for South America (cont.)

>From:  David Garrana Coelho <address@hidden>

Hi David,

>       I'm writing to inform you of the recent problems you may have
>noticed in LDM activity on brisa. We had (another) power outage in the
>building last saturday night, and since no one come here until monday, our
>local network router had problems restarting by itself (power outage
>longer than no-breaks battery lifetime).

OK, that explains some of the things we were seeing.

>       Since we may become the South America "hub" of IDD network in near
>future, any problems who affect our machine will affect machines
>subordinated to us due to network topology.

That is correct.  I have high hopes for the use of IDD-delivered data
in Brazil and Argentina.

>To help adress this issue, I
>spoken to my fellow researchers in our Lab to use some of our (small may I
>add) resources to buy a machine, a Celeron or something like that, with a
>rather big hd (one or 2 of 80Gb), and place it on a building next to ours,
>who have a space dedicated to provide power and network access
>24hours/7days a week.
>       It's not official yet, we speaking to the ppl who manage the
>mentioned space to allow us to use it (without cost), and we haven't
>bought the machine yet, I'm just writing to ask your opinion about that.

I think that it is a good idea to have a machine that plays a crutial
role outside of one's domain on conditioned, uninterruptible power, and
also house it in a location where its operation can be monitored in a
more than casual way.

>       If it goes as planned, it's a more "official" aproach of the
>question, but not a solid one(yet). We may continue our efforts on brisa
>as they are currently, I'm only letting you know that I am putting some
>effort to improve/solve the issues we having lately, in a time horizon of,
>lets say, 1 or 2 months from now, (my best guess).

I really appreciate you sending the heads-up along!

>       Btw, not meaning to rush you (again), really. We here are very
>eager to see MCIDAS since we had seem the capabilities of it in Unidata
>homepage.  The ability to put satellite/obs data/model output on the same
>product, on the fly...sounds too good to be true....=). Our teachers and
>researchers are very anxious to see this working. (So do I) :=)

I apologize for my slowness on getting things working.  Every day, I
have the best intentions of setting up the necessary cron jobs on brisa,
and every day some support tasks crop up that can't wait for action.
I will try to get something working as soon as possible so we can
the sectors.

Thanks for the update (and prodding :-)