20030514: LDM use at CICESE

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

Some time ago, CICESE was ingesting data available on the IDD by an
LDM.  Since I don't see any machine from CIESE feeding IDD data at
the moment, I am wondering if you are no longer using it to get real
time IDD data?

If you are still using the LDM, or if you intend to use the LDM again,
I would like you to upgrade your installation to the latest Unidata LDM
release, LDM-6.0.11.  The LDM-6 has a number of improvements over LDM-5
the most significant of which is its ability to move large volumes of
data over long distances with low latencies.  The LDM-6 was, in fact,
developed in large part from working with universities in Brazil who
wanted to participate in the IDD.  The result of the intense
development over the past four months has resulted in advancements that
we are quite excited about.  In addition, the LDM-6 has a facility that
allows sites to report real time reception statistics back to Unidata.
These statistics are helping us keep better track of the performance of
the IDD and make adjustments when and where needed.

Information on the latest LDM release reporting of real time statistics
can be found in:

Building LDM-6.0.11:

  Information on building, installing, and configuring LDM-6.0.11 can
  be found online at:

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.0.11/index.html

Reporting real time statistics:

  The ldmd.conf entry that needs to be added to report real time statistics
  back to Unidata is:

  exec  "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

  This 'exec' line should be the last 'exec' line in ldmd.conf.  Please
  remember that after making this modification, you will need to stop and
  restart your LDM:

  <login as 'ldm'>
  <modify ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf>

  ldmadmin stop
  <wait for all LDM processes to exit>
  ldmadmin start

If you would like help in upgrading to LDM-6.0.11, please let us know!

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas