20030515: Brockport LDM server feed request changes (cont.)

>From: Tom McDermott <address@hidden>

Tom,

re: correct hostname for vortex

>This is incorrect.  The official host name is vortex.esc.brockport.edu.
>A forward entry for 'weather' was retained for backwards compatibility
>when our building and ip address and domain name changed 2 years ago.

OK.

>The current ip addr was never associated with old weather hostname.
>However, within the last couple week this incorrect reverse mapping has
>somehow cropped up on certain nameservers (not our authoritative ones) and
>been propagated to at least rutgers and albany that I am aware of where it
>caused ldm problems and apparently now ucar as well.

Yes, that is what appears to have happened, since our name servers
give consistent forward and reverse name lookup for vortex.weather
but not vortex.esc.  We will contact your downstream sites to change
their requests from vorex.weather to vortex.esc.

>I will have to
>contact our network people to see if they can track down the source of
>this anomaly.

Thanks!

>I am aware of the situation with Cornell.  However, I am swamped with
>other work and recovering from our recent catastrophe.  These requests
>have come at a very inopportune time for me.  When does Cornell' new
>pay-per-byte policy come into effect?

Cornell doesn't come under the knive, as it were, for a bit (July 1 is
when their new fee structure kicks in).  The only reason I sent you the
request today was because we had an email request from Bill Noon
today that asked us to "remove Cornell from the IDD relay list until
the early fall".

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out.

Tom