20030611: reading NIDS files

Michal,

I suggested the ucnids as a stand-alone program that just
uncompresses the data.

The data is pretty simple to unpack using zlib calls
as is done in GEMPAK and McIDAS, and you could write your own
using the example program inflate.c in the zlib distribution.

Pete Pokrandt of U. Wisconsin posted a perl script to inflate the
products as well:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/coohl/mhonarc/MailArchives/wxp-list/msg00222.html

Steve Chiswell