20030620: FYI - LDM host Hurricane - Time

>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

>Just to let you know.....
>Ntp service  is now running on host:  hurricane.srcc.lsu.edu.

Thanks for the update.  Here is one for you:

I have been ingesting HDS data from seistan on two different machines,
one here at the UPC, and on at the University of South Florida.  Both
machines are experiencing the exact same kind of large latencies that
ULM was seeing while ingesting the same feed from seistan.  To see
this, please take a look at the 'latency' plots for the HDS feed
generated for zero.unidata.ucar.edu and metlab.cas.usf.edu:

zero.unidata.ucar.edu:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats/siteindex.shtml?zero.unidata.ucar.edu

metlab.cas.usf.edu
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats/siteindex.shtml?metlab.cas.usf.edu

This does seem to indicate that the feed problems are somewhere at or close
to LSU.  Exactly where, I can't say for sure.

My next test will be to return metlab.cas.usf.edu's HDS feed to
pluto.met.fsu.edu where the receipt latencies were near zero.  I
would like to then feed the HDS data _to_ seistan to see if the
throttling is bidirectional.  In order to really test this, I
would need to shut off the HDS feed seistan is currently getting.
Is this OK with you?

Tom