20030930: upgrade of LDM on graupl (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Frank,

I logged on graupl today and upgraded the LDM to 6.0.14.  In the
process of doing this, I did the following:

- removed ldm-6.0.13 and the compressed LDM tar file that it came from;
  this was not being used anyway, so it should make no difference

- removed the ldm-5.1.2 installation

- added /usr/ccs/bin, /usr/local/ldm/decoders, and /usr/local/ldm/util
  to the PATH for 'ldm' (in .cshrc)

- tuned the request entries in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf, ~ldm/etc/rutgers-ldmd.conf,
  and ~ldm/etc/brockport-ldmd.conf:

  - split the data requests up so that the subset of HDS you want is
    requested on one request, IDS|DDPLUS on another, and UNIWISC
    on another.

  - added dual requests to rutgers and brockport: the requests to
    Rutgers are PRIMARY and the requests to Brockport are ALTERNATE

  - since I found no actions to process Unidata-Wisconsin imagery
    in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf, I commented out the UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS)
    data request lines in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.  If you want to start
    ingesting the images, all you have to do is uncomment the
    request lines in ldmd.conf and stop and restart the LDM.  This
    should only be done if there are actions to process the data
    in pqact.conf, otherwise it is just using bandwidth that
    you don't seem to have an abundance of.

- added running of ntpdate to 'root's crontab once-per-hour.  I ound
  that the clock on graupl was off, and ntpdate sets it from information
  provided by an external time server.  The timeserver I pointed to
  was timeserver.unidata.ucar.edu.

- added reporting of real time stats in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

- tweeked entries in /etc/syslog.conf so that LDM log messages only
  get put in the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log files

After making the above changes, the ingestion of IDS|DDPLUS and NLDN
data is working nicely.  HDS data is coming in, but is showing high
latencies:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats/siteindex.shtml?graupl.uml.edu

This tells me that there is some slowing of high volume data to
graupl.  The most typical cause of this is 'packet shaping' software
installed by campus IT groups to limit excessive use ofr bandwidth by
MP3 downloads, etc.

Please let me know if you see anything amiss on graupl, or if you have
any questions about the LDM-6 upgrade.