20040316: NIU down with DOS

>From:  Tom Priddy <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

First:

>Can someone let UK have a temporary feed until NIU come back up?

You can fail over to several machines under Unidata control:

emo.unidata.ucar.edu
atm.geo.nsf.gov
unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
thelma.ucar.edu

These are listed in order of the preference we have for your temporary
failover.

Second:

Seeing your email reminded me that I have been wanting to contact you
for some time.  If you will remember back to the summer Unidata
workshop held here in Boulder, I asked when UKy would be upgrading to
LDM-6.  You told me that you were under the impression that you were
already using LDM-6, but that you would check with your system
administrator to make sure.

If you are using LDM-6, can you ask your system administrator to start
sending us real time statistics?  This is easily done by adding the
following line to the LDM's ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file:

exec    'rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu'

If you are not running LDM-6 yet, I would like to convince you to
upgrade to the latest LDM-6 release, LDM-6.0.14, as soon as possible
AND to make sure to start sending us real time statistics.  I am sure
that you will find that the LDM-6 is significantly better in receiving
and relaying data than LDM-5.x.  Adoption of the LDM-6 by the community
at-large occurred faster than any new release of any of the software we
support.

Also, and quite frankly, the main reason I would like to see all sites
upgrade to LDM-6 is so that we can better monitor the overall
performance of the IDD.  The plots of real time statistics offered
through the Unidata web page:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/rtstats/index.html

allow us both to monitor how well the IDD is preforming and take
proactive steps to correct problems when they occur.

Thanks in advance for your help!

>From address@hidden  Tue Mar 16 15:57:23 2004

Tom....
Thanks for the temp feed(s). Concerning  LDM-6 and the stats....
as soon as I returned from Colorado....we brought up "6"....and I
thought the stats....so I apologize about the stats and will fix that
tomorrow.