20040624: FNEXRAD feed and change in NIU data relay status coming

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I wanted to make you aware of two things.
>
>First...I'd like to cancel our being a relay of our FNEXRAD mosaics.

OK.  The best thing to do is to send a notification to the sites
that have been getting this from you to let them know that you
will no longer be relaying the data.

>Unfortunately, we can either get single-site BREF1's from every site and
>make our own images (which we do now), or get the FNEXRAD feed. Since I am
>updating these every 5 minutes, I'd like to bow out of relaying that *for
>now*. Why just for a while? Well...

No worries.

>We're finally hopping onto Abilene!!! NIU is 65% confident we will have a
>1 GB fiber link to Internet 2 live in December (my guess is that it will
>be delayed a few months, but nothing serious). They are laying all the
>fiber in late July. We will be linking with the Fermi National Accelerator
>Laboratory as they are about to come online as well.

So, when your I2 link is up relaying the FNEXRAD data will not be an
issue anymore?

>I have put in a request to feed/peer all our data through that, so
>we'll be able to feed any U. that is on I2 at that time. Or, to feed from
>them! The connection is easily expandable to 10 GB, and will only be
>turned on as needed. And, I have been talking to our network
>guys here on campus So...starting this winter, I will be able to take a
>more active role in being a relay.

>Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sounds good.

>From address@hidden  Thu Jun 24 15:52:08 2004

re: send a note to the sites you have been relaying data to

>Will do!

re: No worries.

>OK.

re: when your I2 link is up relaying the FNEXRAD data will not be an issue

>That is correct!

re Cheers,

Lots of them today! Take care.

E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***