20040817: request denials on atm.geo.nsf.gov (cont.)

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

re: atm denying connections from 166.66.44.84

>Our networking people got back to me regarding the DNS errors that
>atm.geo.nsf.gov is getting for twister.  Their note is:
>
>`The failure being related to a the function "gethostbyaddr" implies that
>this is a
>DNS issue. Please have them provide their DNS servers. Also this coudl be an
>aysymetric INternet 2 routing issue. Please have them provide a traceroute
>to 192.206.29.1 and send the results.`

I agree that it was a DNS problem which has apparently gone away.
I just looked through the LDM log files on atm and saw that the last
gethostbyaddr failure was on August 15.  Since then, there as been
no feed request denials to you (twister) or any other machine.

>I tend to think it is some sort of routing issue between internet 2,
>government addresses and us. Could you check with the admin for
>atm.geo.nsf.gov and ask him to give us their DNS servers and do a traceroute
>to 192.206.29.1 (our DNS server).  Thanks!!

Since we are not seeing these problems at the moment, I will wait
to do the traceroute and supply the DNS servers.  If this occurs again,
I will get the information and send it along.

>From address@hidden  Tue Aug 17 14:28:02 2004

Tom,

I looked through my logs (finally!) and noticed that we get a lot of
"nullproc_6 failure to atm.geo.nsf.gov" messages when our ldm is started.
We had a bunch of unplanned power interruptions the past few weeks and when
our ldm server, twister, reconnects to the internet, I get these messages.
They go away after an hour or so and data flows smoothly again.

Dave