20041221: CONDUIT IDD requests from atm.geo.nsf.gov

>From: "Yoshihiro Yamasaki" <address@hidden>

Yoshihiro,

>I really do not understando what is going on because since
>last sunday conduit data files (*.gr1 or *.gr2) are not
>being received with correct size anymore. Probably ¨this¨
>( which I do not know why) also explain the latency
>problem because since I started receiving *.gr1 and *.gr2
>I had no problem before.

At approximately 5:40 UTC on Sunday morning, the routing for the IDD
top level relay atm.geo.nsf.gov was changed.  Ever since then, traffic
out of atm.geo.nsf.gov has been very slow.  The last email we got from
our contact at the NSF/ATM offices in Virginia indicate that the router
is experiencing continuous CRC errors; we understand this to be the
cause for the traffic slowdown out of atm.geo.nsf.gov.

The regular expression you are using for your CONDUIT request appears
to be OK, so you should not change it.  Until the routing problem at
NSF/ATM has been resolved, please fail over to feed from:

idd.unidata.ucar.edu

I have allowed your machines to feed from idd.unidata.ucar.edu, so you
should be able to simply:

- stop your LDM

ldmadmin stop

- edit your LDM configuration file:

cd ~ldm/etc
<edit ldmd.conf>

  Replicate your request line for the CONDUIT data you want to receive;
  comment out the request line to atm.geo.nsf.gov; and change the feed
  host in the new request line from atm.geo.nsf.gov to
  idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

- start your LDM:

ldmadmin start

We are hopeful that the routing problem at NSF/ATM will be fixed today,
but we have no assurances that this will be the case.

>Could you please find out why I am still unable to get
>only (00Z) 00*gr1 data and (12Z)  12*gr2 conduit data with
>ldmd.conf:
>

>1. --[test showed that does not work ! with -->

>atm.geo.nsf.gov<tab>PRIMARY
>

>2. --[test shows that 00Z,06Z,12Z and 18Z are received
>with-->

> MARY
>

>Today (dec. 21/00z and 06 z) conduit --> *gr1 or *gr2
>files received with wrong size (i.e. only part of all
>files received ! ) --> still a pending problem...

Sorry for the problems...