20050203: IDD - ATM appears down (cont.)

>From: John Meyers <address@hidden>

Hi John,

>I saw the message in ldm-users, but we STILL cannot connect to atm.  The
>same problem is persisting - we have ICMP connectivity, but ldmping
>fails and packet traces show nothing coming back, as if the ldm port is
>being filtered.

Here is the story:  all connections on sprintlink to NSF have been
disabled by the NSF admins, and these will not return.  The reason
for this is that the bandwidth usage of the IDD exceeds the capacity
of the NSF sprintlink connection, so when atm drops off of Internet2,
nobody at NSF can get any work done.  As you might well imagine, this
does not sit well with NSF folks.  So, no IDD connections will be allowed
through their backup sprintlink connection.

Given this, please direct your data requests to idd.unidata.ucar.edu
until we can identify an eastcoast server to feed you.

I apologize for not getting back to you on this early today, but I
have been helping put on an LDM/IDD workshop here at UCAR.