20050222: FW: 20050217: Need help to resolve long latency issue on IDD/LDM (fwd)

>From: "Darren Yezo" <address@hidden>

Hi Darren,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to you on this topic...

>I have been talking to Dr Yoh for a bit of time on this and I think I it
>will be easier to discuss this with you directly.

OK.

>Maybe there was some
>lost communication somewhere..  We are quite aware that we can throttle
>and unthrottle bandwidth by port.

I did not interpret the original email from Shing to mean that
he knew that you were using packet shaping techniques to limit
traffic on IDD ingest streams.

>The reason we limited hurri.kean.edu
>is because at the time the unidata computer was taking up over 10% of
>our networks bandwidth.. We are not the size of LSU. Their 20 mbps
>connection you mentioned in the email is more then our ENTIRE non dorm
>internet connection.

I did intend the comment about LSU to be interpreted as meaning that
Kean has the same kind of resources as LSU but was hording them.
Rather, I was trying to relay an experience where our communications
with an LSU departmental contact resulted in a denial of the existence
of "packet shaping".  After a conference call with LSU departmental and
IT representatives, department folks were made aware of "packet
shaping" being done by their IT group.  After we talked with the IT
folks about what was in the data being transferred, they expressed a
great deal of interest in seeing it flow freely.  The comment they made
was to the effect that was what their network was designed and funded
for.  Given this, they gladly "bored" a 20 Mbps hole through which the
IDD data could freely flow.

Given the LSU experience and our working with IT folks at other
insitutions, I wanted to make sure that Shing was effectively
communicating that the use of the bandwidth was for research and
education, not for things that plague many instutions like MP3
downloads.

>So while the unidata information is for research we
>also need our internet connection for online class, web registration,
>etc...

We agree wholeheartedly.

>So other then turning off packet shaping on port 388 is there anything
>else you can recommend?

There are a couple of approaches that can be explored.  In my previous
email to Shing, I suggested a way that the LDM could be configured
to fly under the packet shaping barrier.  This approach would not,
however, save you bandwidth as the aggregate amount of data would
stay the same while not being slowed by packet shaping constraints.

What would help the situation (other than Kean getting a bigger
Internet pipe :-) is:

- for Shing to review exactly which data in the HDS feed they
  really need/want.  It is our observation that a lot of sites
  don't actually use all of the data that they are receiving, so
  elmininating that data from feed requests would result in a
  lower bandwidth use

- installation of a NOAAPORT data ingest system at Shing's department
  and pipe the output to machines on the departmental LAN which
  would result in using more internal bandwidth (which should be more
  like 100 Mbps) and less external bandwidth

The second option will cost some amount of money for Shing's
department/ Kean University.  The cost might be mitigated by use of
equipment it may have used back when Unidata universities' only way to
get real time data was through a satellite link.  For instance, Kean
might still have the satellite installation pad, dish, and LNB; if it
does it may not need to spend any money on replacement equipment (if it
is in good working order).

In order for a new satellite reception system to work well a site
survey should be done to make sure that the dish location is not
subject to Terrestrial Interference (TI).  If it is, a new site would
need to be found, and that site would need to be close enough to a
location where a computer with network connection and clean power
(UPS) could be housed.

In addition, Kean would need to purchase a Novra S75 DVB-S receiver
(www.novra.com) for about $320 and possibly a tuned cavity filter (I
can dig up the info on what the NWS is deploying) and line amplifier
(Norsat LA-30).  The tuned cavity filter would be needed if TI is a
problem at the satellite dish site; the line amp is needed if the tuned
cavity filter is used.

Finally, Shing could get our NOAAPORT ingest code and run it on a
machine that is exclusively dedicated to the ingest and movement of
data to the departmental LAN using the LDM (no decoders; no
applications; no web serving; etc.).  The connection between the Novra
and PC (running Linux or Solaris x86) would be through a dedicated
Ethernet port (the machine will need to have two: one to connect it to
the department LAN, and the other to accept the UDP multicast stream
coming out of the Novra S75 receiver.

The data coming out of the Novra would represent the full NOAAPORT
broadcast, so it would be the majority of data that Shing would want
from the IDD.  Streams that he would probably still want to get from
the IDD include GOES imagery in the UNIWISC stream, NEXRAD composite
imagery from the FNEXRAD stream, and lightning data from the NLDN
stream.  He would already be getting all of the IDS|DDPLUS, HRS,
NNEXRAD, NIMAGE, and new NGRID datastreams.  The volume of the NOAAPORT
broadcast data is currently on the order of 612 MB/hr (megabytes per
hour) with peaks of over 1.3 GB/hr (gigabytes per hour).  While the
internal bandwidth use at Kean would likely climb, the amount being
transferred through Kean's link to the outside world would decrease
dramatically.

The question to you and Shing are whether or not pursuing a NOAAPORT
reception system makes sense and could be supported on an ongoing
basis?  Satellite reception systems need attention from time to time,
so this is not a install once and forget option.

Once again, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on
your inquiry.