20050310: IDD top level relay atm.geo.nsf.gov PSU (cont.)

>From:  Jeff Weber <address@hidden>

Art (and Jeff),

re: I2 connection for atm.geo.nsf.gov
>Yes, the laser link for the I2 connection is indeed a weak link.

And we don't like the situation, but we find ourselves in the situation
of being "beggars".  The good news is that we routinely use 80 Mbps
of bandwidth through the NSF/ATM setup, and experience has shown it
to be relatively reliable.  As Jeff mentions below, we are pursuing
other options.

>At least it only goes out during times of inclement weather :)

Please understand that we do NOT like this situation.

>Please try feeding from:
>idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
>as a secondary PRIMARY feed with:
>
>atm.geo.nsf.gov
>
>remaining as your "first" (first request in your ldmd.conf)  PRIMARY,
>
>this should keep you alive in case of any future atm outages..

I was going to propose the same thing.

>Yes, we are looking for other top level relay nodes to supplement
>atm.geo.nsf.gov and are hoping to secure a ground line for I2 connections
>to atm as well.
>How do you and PSU feel about being a top level relay node?

For a top level relay to replace atm, it would need to be able to service
over 100 Mbps of bandwidth continuously.  If PSU is willing to provide this
service, we would happy beyond belief :-)

>I am sure Tom will chime in, he is skiing today and tomorrow..lucky man!

I will be able to write more if needed when I return home on Sunday.