20050314: IDD top level relay atm.geo.nsf.gov PSU (cont.)

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Hi Art,

re: downstream IDD users of atm.geo.nsf.gov

>Can you tell me who the typical subscribers are?  Are these primarily
>edu/gov type sites, or are there commercial sites as well?

The users are .edu, .gov, international users (.ar, .au, .bb, .br, .ca,
.cl, .cr, .hk, .mx, .pt, .ru, .vn) and, before the commodity Internet
connection to atm was closed to IDD traffic, .org (the Museum of Science
in Boston).

>How many sites
>are requesting lower bandwidth streams like WMO or MCIDAS

Most are getting the lower bandwidth feeds.

>and how many
>sites request the higher bandwidth feeds such as CONDUIT or NEXRAD2?

Some are getting these.  The mixture is fluid.

You can always see who is getting data from atm through the real
time statistics pages:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/rtstats/topoindex.php?tree

Click on a particular feed type and then search for atm.geo.nsf.gov
and see who it is feeding.

>Also, is all this traffic on Internet 2, or does some of it go out on
>commodity networks?

It used to be a mixture, but that changed when it was demonstrated
that the IDD would consume NSF's entire commodity Internet connection
bandwidth when their I2 connection failed.

>If so, how much would be going out on commodity
>networks?

A small fraction.  It is my impression that no site using commodity
Internet ever requested large volumes of data.  They typically were
interested in IDS|DDPLUS, UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS), NNEXRAD (some, not
all), FNEXRAD, DIFAX, etc.

>Internet 2 is no problem for us to service, but I think there
>could be costing or bandwidth issues if there's much commodity internet
>required.

The current state of affairs is that no site using commodity Internet
is allowed to request data from atm.  Those sites that have to use
commodity Internet have been shifted off to other relay sites like
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.