20050324: Getting closer...

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

>We had a network upgrade here in my building today here at NIU. A 1 GB
>backbone was installed last year, and as of 2:30 PM MT today, I'm hogging
>100 mb of it instead of just 10. :-)

Feel the power ;-)

>I thought we would be on Abilene right now with a 1 GB connection,

1 Gps _to_ Abilene!?  You sure?  NCAR/UCAR has an OC12 (or is it OC155).

>but
>(surprise!), paperwork is holding it up. It will happen, contracts are
>currently being signed. But when it happens, I'd like to relay more data
>to other Abilene sites. But, maybe there's other ways to help, too.
>
>Suggestions? Comments? Snide remarks?

There are several ways to help the community: relaying data, acting as a
THREDDS site, creating a large near-realtime data depository that is open
(akin to, but not necessarily exactly the same as being a THREDDS site),
etc.

>What can a 100 mb trunk to me and a
>1 GB Abilene connection do to help the community?

Once you are fully connected, it would be useful/interesting to run
some stress tests to see how much data you can relay with no added
latency.  One of the key necessities is high availability hardware,
something that we have been experimenting with here at the UPC.  In the
next section, I include an email that I sent to another user that is
strongly considering becoming a toplevel IDD relay node.  As you will
see, the note describes a cluster approach that we have been pursuing.
As you read the info, please remember that we are still learning about
the cluster and _will_ be making changes to the setup in the coming
days/weeks/months/etc.