20050507: NPORT data feed?

>From:  "Molenar, Deb" <address@hidden>

Hi Deb,

>Hey Tom.  I heard you were off traipsing around Europe.

I still am, and I'm loving it!  I am currently in Valladolid, Spain
where I attended the 25th reunion of the Precipitation Enhancement
Project (PEP).  I was part of the UWyo crew in PEP in 1980-81.  It
is hard to believe that 25 hears has gone by!

>Hope it was a great trip.

Still is :-) Today we head for Toledo where we will stay 3 nights
before heading back home on Thursday.

>For some reason I've been feeling a need to go back to
>Prague lately...

I have never been to Prague, but I hear that it is lovely.  This trip
I got to go to Vienna and Melk (Austria), and then Madrid, Valladolid,
and Toledo (Spain).  The problem with travelling is the more that I
do, the more I want to do.  This is unfortunately not possible here
in Europe given the high prices (sigh).

>Anyway, on Thursday we had a working meeting with Amenda at FSL, trying
>to determine why data from the LDM wasn't working with D2D.  The main
>problems were lack of real CCB headers, addition of FOS headers, and
>compression.  We noticed a feed type of NPORT in the doc, and played
>with the NGRID data a bit, and were wondering if these Ndata were
>placeholders for a future dataset of unmodified NOAAPORT data?

We have the intention of modifying the NOAAPORT feeds we send in the IDD
so that CCBs are not stripped off.  Because of the reliance of existing
decoders for the current form of the data, this will require us to make
one or more LDM releases that have been modified to allow the user to
specify a 'strip' flag on pqact.conf actions so the CCBs can be
stripped before sending products to decoders like in McIDAS-XCD,
GEMPAK and perhaps even WXP.  We currently have no fixed timetable
for doing the needed work, but I would hope that it would be available
within the year.

One other possibility is for you/TomW to run NOAAPORT ingest processes
with a modified version of our (Chiz's) readnoaaport code.  readnoaaport
is the module that 'productizes' the data and inserts the products into
an LDM queue.  This way you could have products with CCBs quickly.
The uncompressing of data products will still need to be done, but
there are routines/programs that can do this.