20051006: 20051005: 20051003: pqact template for GFS conduit data

John,

The problem you are describing sounds like your LDM relay is falling behind, and
independent of any GEMPAK configuration.

As an aside, you should be requesting data from idd.unidata.ucar.edu now
since thelma.ucar.edu no longer exists, and is just a name alias. The
idd.unidata.ucar.edu is a cluster of hosts to provide you with the most
reliability. Note that this is not related to your data stream problems.

I am running a notifyme command to both your LDM machines to watch the CONDUIT
feed arrive there.

Your old machine "newpsn" which is being fed from "thelma" is receiving the
full gfs #003 per your description. The machine "psnldm" is feeding from
"newpsn".
The likely situation is that:

The "newpsn" machine is falling way behing in receiving the CONDUIT feed.
At this moment, it is receiving the F024 fields, and they are over 30 minutes
behind. Once this machine falls more than 1 hour behind realtime in receiving
the data,
your downstream machine "psnldm" will start missing data, since the default LDM
configuration
is to ask for data up to 1 hour old, and on receipt of a product older than
that, it will ask to
skip ahead in time so as to catch up.....but since your upstream "newpsn" is
the one
that is falling behind, "psnldm" is unable to catch up in time.

If your machines were sending statistics in, using the rtstats program
invocation from ldmd.conf,
we would have a record of latency for your products and verify that the 1 hour
latency is occuring.
I will use notifyme as a substitute for the time being and watch as the F084+
times
arrive, given you said that you see problems on your downstream in that time
between F084
and F180.

The likely solution is to examine your LDM performance on "newpsn", the size of
your queue
and its memory. If your plans are to replace that with the "psnldm", the best
case would
be to have enough memory to hold your entire queue size, and your queue should
be
large enough to hold at least 1 hours worth of data. The newer psnldm seems to
be keeping up with "newpsn" in terms of feed volume, so we should see data
drops as the
upstream falls over 1 hour behind, and prpbably RECLASS messages in your
ldmd.log file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Steve Chiswell