20051118: IDD feeds from LSU to Mississippi State U. (cont.)

>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

re: suggested allow line for .edu sites

>Tom, the feed types in question are not an issue,

Not an issue at present since you are not receiving them... yet.

>but having controls in
>place to regulate restricted data are a good idea, JUST IN CASE. The
>controls you suggested will be added.

Very good, thanks.

>Question.....
>Are any of these restricted data currently feeding from the NOAA port?

No.  The feeds I mentioned -- NLDN, WSI, GEM, NOGAPS, PCWS --
are not available in NOAAPORT.

>Will there ever come a time when restricted data feed from the NOAAport?

There is restricted data in the NOAAPORT feed right now:

- lightning data, but it is encrypted

- data that falls in WMO Resolution 40 restrictions.  Those data are
  not allowed to be reintroduced into the country of origin unless
  they are for educational and research use.  Unidata participants
  being virtually entirely universities need not worry about ingesting
  these data no matter where they are.  Redistributing them in
  forms that allow for reintroduction into the country of origin (for
  instance by posting the raw data on a website that has no acces
  restrictions) _is_ prohibited.  For more information on WMO Resolution
  40 restrictions, please review the data usage guidelines page and
  links off of the Unidata website:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/data_usage.html#data

By the way, and before you ask, the Unidata Program Center does not
maintain a list of products that are restricted for reimportation into
countries of origin.  We cannot maintain such a list as it is always
changing.