[IDD #DLC-821177]: idd.unidata.ucar.edu not responding, feed down

Hi Mike,

re:
> I suspect now that this is campus firewall issue....but there are some
> things I don't understand. I can ping idd.unidata.ucar.edu from any machine
> including rossby, but I can ldmping it..?

OK, so port 388 access is somehow being blocked to idd.unidata.ucar.edu
(I got your update that you CAN'T ldmping).

> Also, I can ldmping other
> machines where rossby is allowed, including bigbird.tamu.edu where I failed
> over to. So, it appears someone or something blocked 388 traffic to and
> from idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Very weird!

> So, I'm scratching my head here. We are actually in school today....and you
> should be out skiing or something!

Actually, I am at home at the moment working on some metrics-related things
(argh!).

> Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what I find.

I can't remember if rossby is now a Linux box or not.  If it is, try
restarting its firewall (if it is running one) using:

<as 'root'>
/etc/init.d/iptables restart

If rossby is still a Solaris box, try turning off the firewall (again
if it is running one) momentarily and checking ldmping connectivity to
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

The other thing I would check is the DNS for idd.unidata.ucar.edu.  The
front end (director) to the idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster address is
128.117.140.3.

By the way, your original email came during a 5 minute period where
an automated ldmping process that checks if various UPC machines are running
the LDM failed.  This is why I commented that it looked like a momentary
network hiccup.

A quick heads-up: you may have noticed that we are now using a new inquiry
tracking system.  Emails sent to support-<topic>@unidata.ucar.edu are
for the most part automatically forwarded to the new system, and an automated
reply is sent.  (<topic> is any of the normal support topics that we
track: ldm, idd, idv, mcidas, gempak, netcdf, datastream, etc.)  It will
help us help users if they send in emails that are focused on individual
topics, but nothing breaks if they don't.  We will be putting together
an Enewsletter article on the new system after all UPC staff start using it
on a regular basis.  So far, most of the technical staff has started
"kicking the tires"; the administrative staff will follow along shortly.  Again
this is just a heads-up.

Ticket ID: DLC-821177
Department: Support IDD