[IDD #DBF-760900]: How to join the IDD network?

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Our network people opened up the port to your IP address and LDM is now
> able to connect to idd.cise-nsf.gov. I also confirmed that we do have an I2
> connection.   So far we have been able to download a few datasets. Thank you
> for your help.  This looks to be a valuable source of data for our archive
> and research.
>
> I do have one more question, however.  We are looking for archived profiler
> data for the past few weeks.  I believe that according to the IDD website,
> that IDD only has real time data available?   Do you have any suggestions on
> how we might obtain the profiler data for the past couple of weeks?  I have
> looked a little into the THREDDS and OPeNDAP sites.  I was wondering if we
> should look at those for access or if there is a way to access archived data
> through LDM?

Hi Laurie,

I suspect FSL (now GSD) maintains an archive as well as NCDC.

We maintain a short term archive to help for LDM outages, it appears that the
profiler data only goes back a week.

The archive is at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/unidata/index.html

This site is passwd protected, so if you desire to access the data, let us know
and we will send the passwd in another e-mail.

For THREDDS catalog (OPeNDAP server) please visit (same timeline):

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/obsData.xml

GSD (FSL) informtion is at:

http://www.profiler.noaa.gov/npn/index.jsp

NCDC does not look promising:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/rcsg/datasets.html#upperair

Cheers, and glad to hear your connect to NSF is working!

Jeff

> Thank you,
> Laurie
>

> On Thursday 11 May 2006 12:17 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi Laurie,
> >
> > Seeing the time out, and then seeing nothing in the logs on
> idd.cise-nsf.gov, leads us to believe that you may have a firewall
> restricting traffic on port 388. Perhaps a whole was punched through
> specifically for the suominet machine, and therefore it works, but you cannot
> connect to other hosts...have you inquired about this with your network
> people?
> >
> > Was the result the same executing the notifyme command to our node:
> >
> > idd.unidata.ucar.edu  ?
> >
> > This is to test I2 connection, traceroute does not indicate that you are on
> I2, and idd.cise-nsf.gov can only feed I2 nodes.
> >
> > I suspect we may have more than one issue at play here.
> >
> > Can you confirm that you are or are not on I2 (Abilene)...traceroutes can be
> asymmetrical
> >

> > Cheers,
> >

> > Jeff
> >

> > > Jeff,