[IDD #QMB-252134]: Changing our LDM computer

Hi Bob,

re:
> Per your suggestion, we will try to install LDM 6.4.6.4 on
> met-07.oswego.edu when my colleague Steve Skubis returns Wednesday.

Very good.

> We are not feeding from any site other than idd.cise-nsf.gov
> and idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

OK.

> The NSF site has been very reliable
> except for an occasional weekend outage (we missed the 11 Feb 06
> New York City blizzard with its record snowfall when the NSF feed
> was down, but that was my fault for not checking our LDM status).

This is why it is good to feed from two different sites when running
LDM-6.4.x.  The autoswitching feature of LDM-6.4 insures that the
feed that is operating best (meaning that the majority of the products
are coming from it) gets promoted to the PRIMARY mode while the other
feed(s) get demoted to SECONDARY/ALTERNATE mode.  Many sites run in
this configuration, and they do not have to do anything if one of their
upstreams goes down/is unavailable (they do have to worry if all of
their upstreams go down, of course).

> Is it OK if we just use idd.unidata.ucar.edu as our failover feed?

Yes.  I would replicate every 'request' line in your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
file and have one point to idd.cise-nsf.gov and the other to
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Just as a heads-up:  other toplevel IDD relay nodes will be coming online
over the summer.  When they are fully operational, we will probably ask you
to remove your feed request(s) from one or both of idd.cise-nsf.gov and
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: QMB-252134
Department: Support IDD