[IDD #OCS-659613]: data in Jerusalem, Israel

Hi Mike,

re:
> My name is Mike Richards.  I am a researcher at the Earth Sciences
> Institute at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.  I came here
> from CIMSS/SSEC at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Cool!

> I have been discussing with Dee Wade at the SSEC datacenter about ways
> for us to receive access to real-time GOES data at no charge, since,
> as an academic research group, our budget is extremely limited.  She
> suggested I contact you.  I hope that this is ok.

Contacting us is absolutely OK.  I am curious about why you are wanting
access to GOES data in Israel and not METEOSAT.

> I am very unfamiliar with UNIDATA, but my understanding is that you
> provide free access to real-time raw satellite data to academic
> institutions in the US.  I am wondering if it is possible for us to
> receive the same access even though we are outside the US.

Yes, absolutely.

> If not, might you know of an alternative?

Since you were at SSEC, I am assuming that you are intimately familiar
with McIDAS ADDE.  True?

Using any ADDE-enabled application (e.g., McIDAS, the Unidata Integrated Data
Viewer (IDV), etc.) you can access realtime GOES data from more than one
server site.  The following URL contains information on server sites and
the ADDE datasets that they provide:

Publically Accessible McIDAS ADDE servers
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html

In particular, please note:

ADDE dataset        Server
--------------------+------------------------
EAST                 unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
WEST                 unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu
GOESEAST             unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
PUB                  gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov

We (Unidata Program Center) currently provide access to real-time GOES-West
data through goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu.  This service will disappear
fairly soon and be replaced by access to GOES-10 data.  Shortly thereafter
we will reestablish access for GOES-West data and open up access to GOES-East
data.

The dataset PUB should be _very_ interesting to you as it contains realtime
GOES-East/West, FY2C, MTSAT, and some (6-hourly) METEOSAT data.

Also, sites can now register with EUMETSAT user services to get ADDE access
to real-time METEOSAT-8 data.  Please contact EUMETSAT directly for this
service.

> All the best,

Please let us know if you were looking for different access to GOES data.
We also provide a "push" service (the IDD) for GOES image sectors, but
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.  I can provide more
information
on this if you are interested.

Ticket ID: OCS-659613
Department: Support IDD